Friday, May 27, 2005

New home, New child(ren), New lawsuit???

I'm proud to announce that Evelin and I will be welcoming our first Child into the family in December 05/January 06. We just found out and are rather excited. While we would like twins, we will be happy with whatever the Lord blesses us with; boy, girl or multiples thereof. Happily, we found out before we move this weekend into our new home; so Evelin will not be doing any heavy lifting or painting. Thanks to various Bloggernacle posts, I've learned that the first few months of a pregnancy can can be crucial and we don't want her taking any risks.

This has raised up alot of questions in my mind; including some of the following:

1. Has the Spirit of our child(ren) already entered into their new mortal home? LDS teachings do not speak to this issue. While I know that our child(ren) were previously living with our Heavenly Parents...when is their "departure" date from that heavenly home? Was it at conception? Implantation? Birth?

Because I reject the last, I choose to believe in the first. Any other possibilities just don't make any sense to me. However, if I truly believe that our child(ren) are already alive, as a loving and responsible (mortal) father, I wonder what steps I could/should take in order to secure their rights. I am encouraged by laws which allow for the prosecution of individuals who attack pregnant women and harm the expecting mother and/or their babies in the womb. I wonder how I could help encourage this trend; or create another.

Specifically, I haven't done the legal search to find out if this has already been done, but it seems to me that my child(ren) should already be eligible to receive a social security number. I'm also similarly sure that the government would refuse such a request. Given that possibility, I am contemplating filing a lawsuit for declaratory relief. Anyone else out there consider this or have any advice (legal or otherwise)?

7 Comments:

Blogger annegb said...

bless your heart, Lyle, your life is about to change forever. :)

Consider this: your grandmother has probably already met your child(ren). Isn't that sweet?

4:43 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

ps

I highly recommend the epidural. . .

not that I ever had it, hence the recommendation

6:17 PM  
Blogger Matt Evans said...

Congratulations Lyle!

5:41 AM  
Blogger scott said...

I assume that the reason nobody has commented on the substance of your post (i.e. the "lawsuit") is because the flaws in your reasoning are so blatant that it isn't even worth the effort of commenting. I'm sad that you see your future child as a tool to further your crazy right wing ideas.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Lyle-

Not to put the damper on your excitement, but one reason that you won't be getting a SSN for any unborn child is that there isn't any guarantee that you will have a child. Just because your wife is pregnant, that doesn't mean she'll carry through full term, or that the baby will be born alive. I know that's sad to think about, but it is a reality that comes with childbearing. And putting your thoughts and religious beliefs about an unborn fetus having rights, thoughts, feelings, whatever aside, I'm pretty sure that if he or she doesn't make it here to live in the United States, he or she or they won't need a SSN.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Lyle: I think that prior to filing for declaratory relief in federal court you would have to demonstrate that you have exhausted your administrative remedies. Since this alone could take you more than 9 months, it is probably just easier to wait for the SSN until junior is born

Nate Oman

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Jim R. said...

Congrats on the new addition. Wonderful news! I'm ignorant from a legal viewpoint, but any way that you look at the child (born or unborn) it has to be considered a life. When two germ cells unite, thus is the onstart of life. So from any view, scientific or religious, you've got yourself a baby! Congrats.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home